Thursday, August 25, 2011

Matt's Great (Suprise) Adventure!

 I should preface this with the following information...


Matt is OBSESSED. With football. Especially professional football.

We do not know where this obsession came from. Phil and I enjoy a good football game as much as the next guy, but neither of us have a favorite team. We can live if we don't see a game every week, and we've even been know to change the channel to watch something more interesting if whatever game is on isn't a great one.

I always thought sports obsessed kids had sports obsessed parents, but I was wrong. This boy INHALES ANYTHING that has to do with the NFL. He is constantly spewing stats and stories about different players. Honestly I'm proud of myself if I know a third of the names he mentions... And he seeks it all out on his own. Checks out SI kids from the school library, pumps his friends for info, begs to watch the half-time chat shows (we would normally change it to AFV or something to kill the time...) and hangs on every word the game announcers say. Can I just say I am so glad we don't have ESPN?!?

Yesterday as I was driving and listening to the radio - the morning talk show hosts of the station I was listening to - mentioned briefly, that there would be an open practice for the Kansas City Chiefs that night. A free event where you could go and meet the players before their practice and then sit in whatever open seat you could find at Arrowhead and watch the practice.

Being the amazing mother that I am, I immediately called my equally amazing husband and gave him the run-down. We plotted a little and decided Phil would take Matt. So, once he got home from school I gently prodded Matt to get through his homework, and then told him Phil needed his help with something, so he should get his shoes on jump in the car when Phil pulled up. I handed off a small notebook, sharpee and the camera and away they went.


Matt didn't find out until they pulled up at Arrowhead what was really going on. And then he and his dad proceeded to have an amazing time.

Matt was able to meet and get autographs from 16 people (including the Head Coach - Todd Haley, and QB - Matt Cassel).

There were also fireworks, chili cheese fries and highlighs on the jumbotron. They didn't get home until 10:30ish. And Matt was SO HAPPY. Mission accomplished - MOTY signing off.

  

3 comments:

Brooke Kalene said...

Yeah! I am so glad it went well! Definitely MOTY! Did you get to watch Mario with Nolan?

Whitneys said...

I love it! Surprises are the best!

Papasan said...

Now that Matt has seen them in person, has his attitudes about the KC Chiefs changed at all? Are season tickets somewhere in the future for you all?

I can just imagine how excited he was when he found out what they were going to do that night. Surprises like this are great!!!