So, I had this idea, that we would go Lightning bug hunting... I had seen them lighting up the dark on the side of the road, but never up close, and being from California (where there are no lightning bugs...) we had no idea what they looked like. So here are the pictures of our adventure.



We call this, "The Secret Shortcut" (after one of our favorite books by Mark Teague)... it is where all the cool Lightning bug's are.




We discovered that out of the 3 containers we tried (glass jar, tupperware & Ziploc bag), Ziploc's work the best. Who knew! Phil had like 20 by the time he was done (and even then only because he figured that was enough...).

When we were done catching them, we decided to take them home and let them go in our yard - resulting in our very own fairy land... Our fun neighbors were out with their kiddos and the kids all chased the bugs all over the yard. So, so fun...
4 comments:
What a great idea. I am sure this will be such a fond memory for your boys.
Zip lock . . . genius. My kids are always catching firelies but we never have a place to put them. Did you poke it with holes so they could breathe?
Nah... we only had 'em in the bag as long as it took to walk home, (roughly from Jamey's house...)then we let them go. =)
I miss hunting for lightning bugs! We did that grwoing up. Great memories.
Post a Comment