We're back.
Yesterday, while flying back, Nolan had a total meltdown for the duration of our first flight. He screamed, he cried, he grabbed my arm tighter than I would ever have thought a 4 year old could. He was petrified. Every bump, turn, or altitude change the plane made upset him horribly. I felt so totally helpless. All I could do was hug him, tell him it was all right & try to distract him with Hersey kisses and new books. All to no avail. He yelled several times things like, "I hate planes!", "This is a dumb plane!", "Are we down yet?"...
Finally we were down & taxiing to the gate (thankfully). When from between the seat backs comes this little origami boat. This sweet, sweet & very patient lady behind us gave it to him and said, "A boat for you, because you don't like planes." How wonderful is that? Then a few minutes later she handed him a little paper airplane and told him "See, planes are good too." She was so soft spoken and kind, it seriously made my day & miraculously cheered Nolan up. He immediately stopped cursing the plane, the flight and the very invention of aviation and began to quietly play with these two, simple gestures of kindness.
There were several people we encountered during our travel home and Nolan's rants that were so patient and understanding and gave smiles and words of encouragement, instead of tisks and head shakes. To all you patient and kind travelers (especially the first sweet lady) thank you for making my journey better. Thank you for understanding, the woes of a mother traveling alone. You will forever have my gratitude.
-
Wednesday, July 2, 2008
Little Things
Posted by Steph at 2:21 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Welcome home! We missed you!
Flying on an airplane with children is one of my least favorite things to do. I feel your pain. Glad you got home o.k.!
It is so nice to hear about the kindness of strangers. Thanks for sharing. I am glad that you are home safe. It was nice to see you again.
What a fantastic story . . . I love to think about how little acts of kindness can help fill our hearts.
Post a Comment