Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Kids' Day 2008

So our family has a tradition (one of the few things we do that I would actually say qualifies...)


The second Saturday of August is Kids' Day. (Although the past 2 years it's been bumped to the 3rd Saturday... hmmm, maybe we should just switch it to the 3rd... ) OK, so Kids' Day is just what it sounds like. A day that we do fun stuff for and with the kiddos. In the past we've done things like treasure hunts, bike riding and outdoor playtime. This year, we decided to take advantage of the timely release of a movie the boys really wanted to see. We have seriously been counting down since May... Our day went something like this...

Pancake breakfast (kids choice of course!)

Rockin' Primary Activity (thank you C, J, R & H for working that in on the perfect day!)


Lunch at McDonalds (where they had the perfect Happy Meal toys... we got Darth Vader (x2), just in case you were frantic with curiosity)


Trip to Dollar General (where the boys each got to pick 2 things, I know, we're big spenders... but hey it killed the required 45 minutes until the start of THE movie... and if you were wondering they each got a plastic hockey stick, Matt got a small Donald figurine & Nolan got a little pirate play-set.)

Went to see THE movie (I so should have brought the camera, they had a Darth Vader walking around, the boys went up and gave him high 5s)


Baskin Robbins for some yummy treats (did you know they have chocolate Oreo ice cream right now?!?)

Home for some video gaming & countdown to the Olympics

It was such a fun day. I love the opportunity it gives us to set aside an entire day that is just about the kids. Sometimes I feel like they get caught in between all the random craziness that is life. Thank you Matt & Nolan for being such amazing sons and for a wonderful Kids' Day!

4 comments:

Mike and Shelby said...

What a fun family tradition! Those kinds of things only happen on birthday's and holidays-and then it's usually interspersed with all the "boring adult" activities too. Good for you for making it a priority day each year. I'm sure the boys will have fond memories of it. That's great the the Primary activity fit in oh, so nicely!

BTW, I only shop at the Dollar store for most toys nowadays...at this age, they are just happy to get a new toy!

Oh, and Mike says hi.

Jeppson Clan said...

What a fantastic idea! Thanks so much for giving us your extra (3rd) Darth Vader, it worked out perfect for us.

Tell me about the movie. My boys would love to see it, but Matt hasn't let them see the originals yet due to violence/scariness. Our kids are ultra sensitive.

Carie said...

Fun, fun, fun!

What did you think of the movie?

We frequent Baskin Robbins at least twice a week and are big fans of chocolate oreo.

Meredith said...

I'm curious about the movie, too. What was it like???