Friday, August 15, 2008

Olympic Dreams

Before I completely forget and hate myself forever, I thought I’d share what happened 2 days ago at lunch...

Just like many other households, ours has an acute case of Olympicitis – symptoms include non-stop discussions about past events, favorite athletes & a countdown to primetime. Matt is already selecting which events he will someday win gold in, and not surprisingly he wants to be like Michael Phelps. (What kid doesn’t right now, right?)


Anyway, the boys were sitting at the table waiting for me to get lunch to them and the following conversation occurred. (Unfortunately, it is not verbatim… I waited too long to type it, so I’m going off memory here, but its close enough.)

Matt: I think I could win an Olympic swimming race, Mom, do you think you could?

Me: No, I’m too old.

Matt: Yeah, that’s true…

Nolan: I could win a race too!

Matt: You can’t use your inner tube.

Nolan: YES I CAN! Can I use my inner tube Mom?

Me: No, Nolan, I don’t think they’d let you use it in the Olympics, but you can use it at our pool.

Matt: Yeah, and it would make you too slow.

Can I just say, I WAS DYING! (in my head, of course) I so love how the Olympics spark dreaming in everyone, especially kids.

The visual…

Just so you know... this will be the swim gear trend at the 2020 Olympics.

You saw it here first!




And 2 things for the record…



1. Matt is the same age now I was during the 1984 Olympics… those are the 1st Olympics I remember, and the ones that made me dream I could become the next Gold Medal Olympic Gymnast (putting aside the fact that I NEVER took any gymnastics lessons, and the small issue of me being 5’9”…).

2. I really like Michael Phelps too; he is darling, loves his mommy & seems like a very guy next door, all-American sweetie. I would not mind one iota if my boys grew up to be like him.


Let's hear it for Olympic Dreams... Go Michael, Go!

2 comments:

Carie said...

Tell Nolan I would be happy to let him use his tube if I was on the Olympic committee. :)

We are ADDICTED to the Olympics. Michael Phelps in a machine.

Mike and Shelby said...

That is too funny! We'll be watching the 2020 olympics now, for sure!

(found your blog from Megan and Andy's)

You guys look great!

Our blog is private but we'll email an invite if you want.

My email address is

shelbysemail@yahoo.com