Friday, November 7, 2008

Steph and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

I volunteered to make a few items for a bake sale at Matt's school this weekend. I thought, "I'll make a couple of pumpkin pies (using Grandma's wonderful recipe), it won't be any big deal & it'll be a great practice run for Thanksgiving."

To make a long story short... After roughly 7 hours of baking I had baked 5 pies - I had to throw away 4. (I forgot sugar in one batch and eggs in the other...)

My Grandma is going to be so ashamed - I am the self-proclaimed pie making apprentice in our family, I have studied for years at the feet of the master... but somehow, yesterday was never meant to be - after this post I have decided that November 6, 2008 never happened.

Although, Phil did whip up some brownies from scratch, when I was at the end of my rope, to help me meet my volunteered amount. So, once again I am reminded of the wonderful husband I have... and I guess there are probably a lot of people out there who wish their worst day was failure at pie making...

I take it back, yesterday was frustrating, but really I guess it was a pretty good day.

4 comments:

legendre family said...

Ohhh Stephie - That would be exhausting and frustrating !!! The kinda day you just need to go to browse Target ... it makes us all feel better :)

Anonymous said...

As Phil says: "Darn that Ted!", (because he blames all bad things on Ted). You must have had lots of distractions to have made mistakes like that because you are normally such a great cook. That or you're having Senior Moments in your youth. Naw .... Distractions for sure.

We're looking forward to Thanksgiving there, and to the delicious pumpkin pies that we know you will have.

To paraphrase the words and melody of the "Matchhmaker" song: "Piemaker, piemaker, bake me a pie. Bake me a pie of pumpkin and spice. Bake me a pie so nice!"

And a big "Hi" from all of us here!

Julia said...

...I'm sorry that that happened. At least you got one right! That's good! I bet the brownies turned out fine, right?

Mike and Shelby said...

oh, how sad. I am so sorry. Thank goodness for those good hubbies who can swoop in and save the day.

I can vouch for you that you are a good cook.

I bet you won't forget the eggs or sugar in the ones eaten on Thanksgiving now though!