Thursday, February 21, 2008

What Really Happens on a "Snow Day"...

So today was a "snow day" for Matt.

Let's be clear here, snow is a loose term. For instance today, this is what it looks like out out front window. No, that is not snow... It is freezing rain, sleet, ice, etc. Not the fun, powdery stuff.


OK, so the day begins with the phone ringing at about 5:30am with the district recorded message that school has been cancelled due to inclement weather.

Around 6:30 Matt's doing a happy jig after listening to the message on the answering machine & Nolan is bouncing on my head telling me
"I'm HUNGRY!"

It takes me about an hour to shake out of my grogginess,
and let the games begin!

It is 18 degrees outside. Too cold to "play" in the "snow",
so we're stuck inside.

The bulk of my day is spent breaking up wrestling matches &
soothing irate children.

Yelling, screaming, and running inside are all a part of the "fun".

Occasionally, in a few, rare, quiet moments, good things happen, like this "starship destroyer", compliments of Nolan.

And finally at about 3pm, I give in to the question
that has been ever present today...
"Can I play my video game?"

I did get quite a bit of housework done today,
you know, since I couldn't go anywhere...

I guess that was a good thing too, and right now peace reigns...
Thank you Playstation!

But overall... I do NOT enjoy snow days.
I just thought you'd like to know...

5 comments:

Julia said...

Sounds like you had a pretty full day yesterday. Wrestling was always one of those fun, energetic, moments that were always cherished among siblings...Good luck with today ;).

Meredith said...

I can imagine how one would get used to not having both kids at home once one or both were in school. So I can imagine how parents aren't so happy with snow days! :) Especially when you've got energetic and crazy boys like us!

Tonya said...

BRRR! 18 degrees?? We have had a ton of rain lately, and I repeately ask myself how do mom's do it in places where it rains or snows a lot and they are stuck inside for days with BOYS?!?

And, we are major wrestlers here, too!

Melinda said...

How fun....snow days! I do agree though...."snow days" is a loose term....the close the schools for everything here! I can imagine NOT looking forward to "snow days". Kudoos to those brave parents out there!!

Kellene said...

Yeah, that sounds about right for a "Snow Day." When my two are home from school, it always seems like there is so much more chaos. This time I just told them to play and be nice to each other or they could spend time facing the wall if I heard them fight. Much to my surprise, they played nice!