Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Good Weekend/Bad Weekend

So this weekend was... interesting.

Phil & I got to go to his company's anual golf tournament (and I got to use my Christmas '07 gift for the first time... just in case you didn't make the enormous leap - I got golf clubs...). This is the 3rd year we've gone - and the 3rd year we've had a wonderful time.



Hi-lights included...
-Our team score being only 4 over par (especially good considering neither Phil nor I have
golfed since last year's tournament & our 3rd team member had never golfed before that day...)
-Phil winning a $25 QT giftcard (door prize)
-me winning a $25 Kohl's giftcard (door prize)

Lo-lights included...
-observing the adverse effects of alcohol (somone wrecked a golf cart - 2nd year in a row)

I'm glad we had fun, because I'm pretty sure they won't be doing it again next year.

So, how, one might wonder, did those crazy kids sneak away for a full day of golf minus their darling sons? - We have amazing friends (Sarah & Mike) that watched the boys for us. THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! They are even so amazing that Mike took Matt to his basketball skills clinic (this is the year they start making teams in the city leage via draft...). Aparently all went well there... we will wait to hear what team he is on.



Now for the bad part of the weekend.

I got blindsided - no, not in the car, but it hurt just as much...

Sunday, I was released from my calling with the Young Women (the youth program at church for girls 12-18)... I have been with them for the past 2 years & while it was hard and a lot of work, I loved it. I love those amazing girls and am so proud of them & the good they do in their lives. They are all beautiful, kind, smart & fun and I am going to be so sad to not spend every Sunday & Wednesday with them...

I think I would have been sad no matter what, but the very worst part is I didn't see it coming. A perfect blindside. I am taking it VERY hard, but I think the worst is over for now, and I'm ready to move on to my new job, a new adventure...

However, I just want to take this opportunity to say how very much I've enjoyed the last 2 years. The girls, the activities & the amazing women I got to work with. We were/are truly a family and I know, we will always remember the time we spent together - I know I am forever changed.

Thank you Cherlyn, Deb, Jess, Brooke, Bonnie & Melinda - Couldn't have made it without you!
I love you all! Now, go get 'em Brooke! =)

5 comments:

Becca said...

The golf tournament sounds like fun (especially winning those door prizes). I've never done more than miniature golf, and I wasn't particularly good at that, but I wouldn't mind trying regular golf at least once in my life.

I'm sorry about your being blindsided. You really loved those girls, and it is only natural for you to mourn a little after being released from your calling. I miss my primary kids like crazy--especially our class time each week. I haven't received a new calling yet, but I'm sure as I get busy serving wherever I am called the feeling of loss will go away.

Good luck!

legendre family said...

Ohhh Steph ... it sounds like the adventure was enormous even with it's ups and downs ... sounds like they are really re-doing that ward.I can't wait to see where you are put to work next !!!
XOXOXO - Heather

Daydreams and Reality said...

Steph, just know that you did an amazing job at YW pres! We were all blessed by your spirit, love and testimony! I miss you! Deb

Anonymous said...

Stephy,

So glad to hear that you and Phil had a great time golfing. It's nice to be able to do things as a couple. Diane says she would rather "be a widow before she becomes a golf widow", so its a good thing I don't play.

Maybe we can make it a 4-some on the golf course then. I will let Diane know that you are hoping to get her out there, or maybe not.

Very sad to hear about the sudden and unexpected release from the Young Women's program. I guess you will have to find some other way to spend time away from the 3 guys now.

We're both looking forward to seeing you all at Thanksgiving. Give all the guys there hugs or tickles from us, which ever is most appropriate to them. Papasan

Mike and Shelby said...

glad you had some time with hubby, and sorry you got released from YW. It's so hard to not get 'hooked' on being part of those girls lives. I was 2nd Counselor over Beehives for a couple years and I LOVED it...and still miss those girls.

You will also be an ispiration where ever you serve next though!