Friday, October 10, 2008

Older

Nolan's First Primary Talk
(On Baptism)

First of all, how handsome is he?


OK, so over Labor Day weekend 2008 (I'm not that bad...) Nolan was asked to give a talk in Primary. (The meeting the children ages 3 - 11 attend during church each Sunday. Every child is given the opportunity to say a prayer, read a scripture, or give a short talk. Different children each week...)


So, he and I sat down on Saturday evening and we talked about baptism for a few minutes, then I asked him to tell me what he wanted to say. A genius Mom that I once new, told me in her family, they had their kids "write" as many sentences as they were old for their talks. Brilliant!So, that is also what we do. Nolan dictated his entire talk to me. These are his words (All I did was ask him questions when he got stuck...).


"When you get baptized you're supposed to be 8 years old (or older)."


"Jesus Christ was baptized. We love him and he loves us."


"My brother Matt got baptized, he went under water and then soon he came out."


"I want to get baptized someday when I'm 8 years old!"


I know it's actually 5 sentences, what can I say - "Over achiever"


After we wrote it down we practiced, several times, including once for Daddy, once for Matt & once for Daddy & Matt. (Each time with a proud little smile when he finished and received all his accolades...)


I think the best part though was he got right up and did it, in Primary, without a problem. As many of you know with Nolan (and most kids in general) it's a crap shoot as to what type of mood and level of cooperativeness you can expect at any given time - but he did an awesome job! We're so proud of our little Nolan!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the pictures! Hurray for Nolan! The talk sounded great. ;)

heidi said...

he did a FANTASTIC job. and thanks for coming up with it with such short notice. who is that crazy secretary that puts out fires at the last minute? i'm glad that you are still in the ward so that i can pick on you again!

Meredith said...

Great job Nolan!!!

Mike and Shelby said...

That is a brilliant idea! Thanks for sharing. And I loved his talk. So sweet. Glad he did a great job delivering it too. (I hear you when you say you never know how they are going to act the moment of!)